How-to: every deal-post contains availability, and link-button where ticket is searchable. Some deals have limited availability. For you convenience we may generate direct links or dates combinations along with calendar. Information is valid at time of publication. So sometimes you may not find the price mentioned in the post (ex. after several days of the original posting date). It means that the deal was sold out or supplier (airline/agency) has changed the conditions or removed the offer.
Denied for credit card? Processing application for some time? Don’t get upset and frustrated! You can push your applications and get signed up. Credit cards’ bank specialist will be happy to assist you and discuss it. Here are some tips and recommendations.
Reason of being denied for credit card or put on reconsideration
- bad credit score and history
- too many credit cards
- applying for several credit cards during one day
- you have recently changed your name
- not recently updated credit score from agency (banks may put on hold your application to get everything updated)
Denied for credit card: tips and plan for the the conversation
Here are some recommendations, when talking to a bank representative.Have a strategy. Be sure and do not hesitate with your statements.
1. Know credit cards benefits.
Representative may ask you: Why do you want open this card?
For example: Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card. You may tell specialist:
- that you really travel a lot abroad and no foreign transaction fee card is exactly what you are looking for and what you need,
- or Chase Sapphire Preferred is part of Chase Ultimate rewards – a very flexible loyalty program in terms of redeeming rewards,
- Chase Sapphire Preferred is chip’ed credit card and you need very secure and reliable credit card,
- Chase Sapphire Preferred has 2 points on $1 spend on dinning and travel – and you travel a lot and prefer restaurant food (or you are not of a great cook),
- your friend recommended it to you.
DO NOT tell specialist that you want sign-up bonus. Concentrate on the benefits of the credit card.
2. Be polite and patient.
YOU are interested to be approved for a credit card. Bank is ALSO interested, but show your empathy to credit card specialist. For him/her to be sure you are a trusted and reliable client.Of course, as any other person you may be nervous, but bank representatives are there to help you.
Of course, do NOT demand and yell during the conversation. Try to be positive.
3. Know your history with bank.
If you have several credit cards with bank – remember them.
Better to have no late payments and balances very close to “ZERO” on other credit cards.
4. Volunteer to reduce credit limit.
If you can feel some hesitation during the conversation with credit card specialist, you can ask to reduce the credit limit, or more credit limit from other credit card with this bank(if you have any).
You may also consider asking to close other credit card with this bank, if that can be a moving point to get approved for a new one.
5. Consider different representative.
I you feel that bank specialist is incompetent and not very helpful – you may simply hang up. And redial – there are hundreds other bank people, who are willing to help you.
6. Do not procrastinate.
If you are denied or your status after applying indicates – pending, do not wait for too long. Couple days is enough. Waiting for coupe weeks – may result in another credit history pull, which is a minus of hardly earned credit history points.
Reconsideration phone numbers for credit cards
Chase Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1-888-270-2127 (personal credit analyst, 7am-10pm EST M-F; 8am-10pm EST Sat. and 9am-9pm Sun.)
- 800-453-9719 (business credit analyst, 8am-10pm EST M-F)
Citibank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 800-695-5171 (credit analyst) 7am – midnight ET (6am – 11pm CT) daily
- 800-763-9795 (personal and business card application status) 7am-midnight EST 7 days a week; can transfer you to a credit analyst
- If you are denied, you may need to write snail mail to CitiBank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117 for reconsideration.
- Twitter: @AskCiti
Barclays Credit Card Reconsideration
- 866-408-4064. (credit analyst) 8am-5pm EST Monday to Friday
- Barclays Online Application Status Check to check the status of a credit card application. Or call 888-232-0780
- Twitter: @BarclayCard
Bank of America / Bank of Hawaii Credit Card Reconsideration
- 866-865-7839 (personal credit analyst, 8am-9pm EST M-F)
- 800-481-8277 (business credit card application status; will transfer you to a business credit analyst)
- 877-721-9405 (application status; press 3 then enter your SSN)
- Bank of America Online Application Status Check to check the status of a credit card application
- Twitter: @BofA_Help
American Express Credit Card Reconsideration
- 877-399-3083 (new accounts) 8am-midnight EST M-F, 10am-6:30pm Saturday
- (800) 297-3276 – General Membership Rewards Line
- Online Application Status Check – to check status online
- Twitter: @AskAmex
- (800) 625-7866 – Application Services Line
- (800) 951-6951 – General Customer Service, automated
- (800) 548-4593 – General Customer Service and Application Line, automated
- Twitter: @AskCapitalOne
- (800) 947-1444 – Credit Card Underwriting Services, automated
- Twitter: @AskUSBank
Disclaimer: AirfareSpot.com gets commission for some links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do click them. Please view our advertiser policy page for more information.
You can check best travel cards, by clicking on the CREDIT CARDS’ menu.