I consider rideshare services a huge help during your vacations: you don’t have to google for local taxi number. Just pull up your phone and request a ride. Definitely a time saver!
Uber is a car service available in 58 countries. You can request a car from the Uber iPhone or Android app on your mobile device. When you sign-up for an account, you enter your credit card number. Then all charges are done through the app and this cashless system is very convenient. As you do not have to worry about tips – everything will be charged automatically.
Uber is usually cheaper than a regular taxi, but during high volume, trafficky and night times – rates may go higher. So let’s see how you can save on Uber rides.
Ways to save on Uber rides
1. $15 OFF your first ride (new members only)
That is probably the easiest way to get a free or discounted ride. All you have to do is follow the link and subscribe to Uber service. And you will get $15OFF your first ride. (we will receive some compensation as well)
Lyft (biggest Uber competitor) has the same function.
Right now you can benefit and get up $50 OFF you first ride with Lyft.
2. Uber referral program
- Login to your Uber account at riders.uber.com
- Click Free Rides in the top left corner of the screen
- Customize and share your referral code far and wide, whether it’s on Twitter, Facebook, via email, or through a megaphone.
- Most importantly, enjoy your free Uber rides! For every friend that takes a ride with your referral code, you’ll both get a free ride! Uber will notify you by email when the free ride is in your account!
Uber partners with Capital One bank and brings very interesting deal via this partnership. Paying for your UBER rides with Capital One Quicksilver and Capital One QuicksilverOne can get 20% statement credit. Effective of 21st of April 2015.
Here’s how it works:
- Download the Uber app for iOS or Android
- Add or select your Quicksilver card as your payment method—no special enrollment necessary!
- You’ll get 20% back on every ride through April 30, 2016
4. Use UberPOOL and get 20-50% off your ride
UberPOOL lets you share a ride (along with the cost) with other people heading in the same direction.
- Request: Select uberX and toggle on uberPOOL. Set your pick-up location and destination.
- Ride: You will be matched with another rider traveling along a similar route.
- Relax: Sit back and save—if matched you’ll save up to 50%!
You’ll save anywhere from 20 – 50%, depending on the route. When unmatched, you’ll pay the normal uberX rate.
As of today, UberPOOL is already available in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Paris, Atlanta
5. Pay with the cash back credit card.
You can also benefit and use your rewards towards rides. For example, Chase Ultimate rewards. $10 ride would be 1000 Chase Ultimate rewards points as you can send them (points) towards your credit balance.
6. Use AMEX membership rewards.
If you have an eligible Amex Card enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program, and you add that Card to your Uber account, you can choose to earn 2x points or use points for eligible rides.
Other benefits of Uber
If none if these methods do not work you. You can try to benefit from using Uber and accumulate other rewards.
7. Link the credit card you use the most.
Therefore, you can accumulate and maximize your points, miles and rewards on one loyalty program.
8. 4 SPG points per $1 with Uber
If use Uber while you’re staying at a Starwood hotel, you can earn up to 3 Starwood points per $1 spent depending on your Starwood status:
- 1 bonus Starwood point per $1 spent on Uber for Starwood Preferred Guest members
- 2 bonus Starwood points per $1 spent on Uber for Starwood Gold or Platinum (with less than 75 eligible nights in the current year) members
- 3 bonus Starwood points per $1 spent on Uber for Starwood Platinum (with 75 or more eligible nights in the current year) members
Do NOT forget to register for this promotion and to link your SPG and Uber accounts.
H/T: Miles for Trips
Disclosure: We get a commission for some links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do click them.